Broadly, physical therapy is the prevention and treatment of “movement dysfunction”. Physical Therapists (PTs) are experts in the art and science of evaluating human movement.
We care for people of all ages and treat a variety of muscle, joint, and nervous system disorders that can affect balance.
Trust the Facts
- One of every three persons age 65 and older falls each year
- Falls are the leading cause of injury and accidental death in those over age 85
- In 2005, 15,800 people age 65 and older died from injuries related to accidental falls
- About 1.8 million people age 65 and older were treated in the ER for injuries sustained from falls
Your Balance Program
If you are experiencing balance problems, visit one of our offices in Emporia, Manhattan, Herington, or Council Grove. A physician’s referral is required. After your initial evaluation, your therapist will provide you with an individualized treatment plan, which may consist of:
- Strengthening/flexibility exercises
- Walking and transfers
- Balance/coordination exercises
- Vestibular retraining
It’s a Team Effort
Physical therapists frequently work with and refer to other health care professionals, such as eye doctors, neurologists, and general physicians to be sure you receive the care you need. Together, we can help you live a happier, more independent life.